Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Suicide notes are surprisingly effective at killing pointless bureaucracy.

No pun intended.

Today, I was slapped by a woman in a veil. I told her that her ankles were showing. Now I'm all for multi ethnic societies, but when common courtesies are misconstrued by another race as an insult, this is an insult upon me. And to everyone in a similar disposition. By accepting her faith, and sympathising with her religious tendancies, I thought it to be a courtesy on my part to subtly let her know she was contradicting her faith. All in good manners yes? Trying to immerse myself in other's culture? Remind me not to do that in future. hmffffff. I find it depressing and sad. New labour government, I blame YOU.

Anyway, rant over. wait, no. Here comes the rant mentioned in the title.
I applied for my student finance waybackwhen in April. sorted it out, filled out the evidence, and by the time results day came, i was ready to move up. Boy am I naive. You will know what document I am talking about when I mention the 'Notification of Entitlement' letter, that is supposedly for you to sign, and return, upon starting university. One such letter has cause so much uproar, as one finds it impossible to sign such a document when one is 350 miles from home. Nevertheless, I mentioned my concern to SFE, and they said, and I quote, 'Don't worry, send us an official signature letter, with a student support number (insert number here) and all your details, and that will be fine.'
Fine. Letter written, sent off, recorded express delivery.
No money.
Right, so again, another long conversation ensues with both my mother and SFE, this time saying that they want my mother's MARITAL status proof (for which they coyly apologised for not mentioning) PLUS, they want the original notification anyway. And for it to be scanned by the university? has anyone else had to do this? At this point, I know they're lying through their grinning teeth. Still, I jump through their pointless hoops.
So, here I suggest a solution. by resorting to the most extreme example mentioned above, I predict that they would rather cut their crap than have someone's blood on their hands. Self terrorism is the way forward people! You can imagine how that phonecall would go.
Oh, and tvlicensing.co.uk wants money for a TV license I haven't even applied for. Today is not my day.

Still, on a lighter note, I feel better about being here. The past eleven days (sorry for no update) have been... enlightening. Proving to myself that I can live independently definitely has its bonuses for my self esteem. And I'm starting to form a good social network! Poor Jimi next door hasn't been sober a day he's been here. I think he's forgotten what it feels like not to have constant nausea. Still, we're in a band, and that's awesome.
Degree level chemistry is megahard people, beware, there be demons here. I spent £100 on books alone, and they would either make very good blunt weapons or doorstops, if you catch my drift.
I'm stressed, tired, hungry, slightly alone, and I want my BLOODY MONEY STUDENT FINANCE ENGLAND IF YOU ARE READING THIS HAVE SOME HUMILITY. But I'm ok.
Check back soon.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment